Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A post made by Matthew Furgerson (plug plug plug) got me excited to talk about the Carousel  activity we performed in class yesterday. I did something quite similar in my Fall 2012 GRSC7770 class, without knowing the name for it! As a summative activity, I broke the class into four groups; each of which had a poster board. The groups were then given a specific topic related to teaching and were assigned to develop a concept map on that topic. After five minutes, the groups would switch and have to add to the already existing concept map. This was done until each group visited each concept map and added to it. The final group would then present the concept map to the rest of the class. I found this a really interesting way to summarize everything that had been done in throughout the semester, and the students seemed to enjoy the interactivity (as I did in EDHI!).

In other news, I'm really excited about the Team Tech Talks. I'm a huge fan of alliteration AND a huge fan of  utilizing technology in the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Oh carousel, we sing praises to thee! It really is a great activity for getting everyone involved and collaborating within and across groups. How do you suppose we could do a carousel activity online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! I wonder if we could use some kind of google doc? On second thought, it may be more impressive to use a Prezi. That could be manipulated to look like a concept map where connections and new ideas could be added by each student!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That sounds pretty interesting! I am looking forward to having this kind of activity in this class. (I am also interested in how this great activity can be applied to the course I am teaching now!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shout out to my main man JR. Can you believe that PQ has been holding out on the CIRTL gigs? I feel like a jive turkey, like I got played. You feel me? Anyways, I forgot to mention in my latest blog post about our experiences with the first biological sciences faculty candidate. I hope that you end up elaborating in your new post...which is due by tomorrow. She seems pretty down to earth, but more importantly she is down with FFP.

    ReplyDelete